Thursday, September 17, 2009

Day 3: Back to Work and Scouting Out the Track

Today I was well enough to get back to work. I was kind of in a scramble this morning as I got ready to catch the bus, but I managed to throw together a lunch and two snacks to take with me. Bringing my own food to the office will probably save me some decent cash (especially on the snacks, because I was in the habit of buying two king-size candy bars every day there).

I have to say that managing my diet seemed easier at the office than when I was just home all day lying around feeling miserable. I did get hungry a few times, but there was enough work-related distraction that it didn't become too overwhelming.

One day after another, one foot in front of another, I guess this is my version of faith. I can't see how it will all become easy and natural for me yet, but that's not stopping me from trying.

Michael and I did some scouting in the neighborhood this evening and found a middle-school track a little less than a mile away where we can do some walking and hopefully even walk-jogging. It felt kind of silly to be driving such a short distance in order to walk, but when my whole workout is walking one mile, walking a mile to the track and back is just not going to happen (yet). Anyway, so we drove over there and parked, and we even brought the Bean. It was a family effort!

And it was great! We did four full laps, which is one mile, and there were plenty of other folks out there but not so many that it was overly crowded. We saw some people who definitely seemed to be part of a training group of some kind, and we saw a golden retriever, and we saw a kid on a unicycle. It's happening at that track, I'm telling you. The weather was great, slightly overcast and breezy and so much cooler than it's been all summer (which isn't to say it was cold; this is the south, after all!).

Now we're back home and I still have 195 calories left to enjoy a post-dinner treat. Sweet!

Consistently,
Hilsie

No comments:

Post a Comment