Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Day 1: A Simple Plan and My Starting Weight

Today was Day 1 of the journey I am taking to lose and keep off 80 lbs. All the forces aligned to make this Tuesday in September the first day of the rest of my life. Honestly, I had given up on losing the weight until something started to shift in my mind about a week and a half ago. I think that reading the blog of Sean Anderson was the tipping point; his daily diary of an amazing, life-saving weight-loss journey (now in its 365th day!) completely opened my eyes.

It was the simplicity and consistency of his "plan" that got to me: eat 1500 calories per day, and exercise. And that was it. It didn't matter how he used the calories; just that he stayed within bounds. As I read his entries from Day 1, I wasn't hearing any fussing about organic vs non-organic, or about eating only certain foods or avoiding any foods. I was reading about a guy trying to eat his favorite foods, but in moderation. It sounded challenging and yet refreshingly simple.

As I kept reading, I saw how he slowly ramped up his exercise routine and strove for consistency in his habits above almost everything else. And how successful he was---and this is someone real and relatable, whose daily entries have that unmistakable heart of authenticity.

I really believe that I will do this. I have to do this. Being 80 lbs overweight might not put me squarely in the life-or-death category of obesity, but it makes life . . . well, uncomfortable, a lot of the time. My lower back hurts from doing the smallest amount of housework. I've noticed that airplane seats seem to have shrunk . . . . erm. Right? Same goes for public transportation seats. I'm sick of the focus of my life being on eating. I'm tired of hiding behind that. Maybe this really is life-or-death in a way, because my life has felt so diminished as I have sat here covered by layers of excess fat. My confidence, my energy levels, my willingness to meet new people . . . all of it diminished. I'm afraid to shoot for the stars. Instead I have another candy bar and try not to think about it.

But not anymore.

I'm following a modified version of Sean's simple plan in that I am giving myself a daily calorie bank of 1700 calories per day rather than 1500. I will also be building up my exercise levels over time. It was a minor bummer that today, Day 1, I woke up sick. I still had to walk the Bean (our little dog), so ended up getting in 0.8 miles of walking, but other than that I had to rest. I stuck to my calorie budget---in fact, I still have 150 calories left for an after-dinner snack---and even challenged myself to choose something for lunch from a place I've regularly overate from in the past: Boston Market. After doing a little research, I settled on a smoked turkey plate (regular size) with sides of herbed new potatoes and green beans, and half a piece of cornbread. It was really tasty, and only clocked in at about 440 calories for a very satisfying meal. My little experiment was a success! Which is great news, because more than anything I don't want my weight-loss plan to be a cause to fear "real-world" eating experiences. That was a problem with pretty much all of my past plans . . . I never did get a grip on how to eat normal food in normal amounts at the places my friends and family frequented. I never taught myself how to take responsibility for these food choices. Instead I just tried to avoid them---but eventually that always caught up with me and often caused the demise of whatever diet I happened to be on.

I felt some physical hunger at several points during the day, despite the fact that I felt like I was eating quite a bit. And the weird thing is I got kind of disappointed in myself for being hungry. Huh. Honestly, I think I'm mostly scared that hungry feelings will wear down my resistance. But that just can't be allowed to happen this time! My new watchword: Consistency. If I stick to my calorie budget and give exercise an honest, regular effort, I can reach a healthy weight and life a fuller life than I have in years. I know I can do this. I'm fortunate to have the unconditional love and support of my boyfriend, who is behind me 100% of the way. I'm doing this for me first and foremost, but I can't deny that this could have tremendous positive impact on our life together and perhaps even my career. I have made enough excuses and stayed in this rut long enough (over 5 years). I am going to act "as if" I have what it takes to go the distance, even on the days when I'm not feeling great about myself. I am going to keep doing what it takes to lose the weight.

This morning I weighed in on our home scale at 203 lbs. An all-time high. As I work my way down to around 125 lbs, I know there will be some struggles---but I'm also finally open to seeing all the positive aspects of the journey. I have faith in this.

Consistently,
Hilsie

2 comments:

  1. Hi there! I'm excited that I found your blog! I read Tony "The Anti-Jared" blog and that's how I found your blog. As I sat here reading your blog, I just felt like I wanted to cry because I relate to how you are feeling about your weight, this scary weight loss journey that you're starting, and to wanting to "find yourself" again. A quote that I love goes something like this "I'm on a journey to find out who I am. The woman underneath the fat."
    I believe in you and that you are strong enough to take on this weight loss journey! Take one day at a time, one good choice at a time, and one pound at a time. It can and will be frustrating at times. As long as you work through it, and try to be positive, then that's half the battle! I know exactly what it's like. I started my weight loss journey 1 year and 6 months ago on March 12, 2008. My starting weight was 195 pounds. So far I've lost 42 pounds. It's not been easy, but it's SO worth it! I'm excited for you that you've started your own weight loss journey! I know you can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrea: It *is* scary, starting this weight-loss journey---thank you so much for your comment. Today (Day 2) was rough on me (the mind games we play with ourselves!) but I managed to survive it, and reading your words helps to give me hope when I need it most. Thank you! "One day at a time" is excellent advice.

    ReplyDelete